Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Still Life: Cherries


DSC05315, originally uploaded by aunt.meeb.

My college art professor lauded the benefits of doing still life studies as often as possible. He saddled us with the responsibility to create our own compositions. Truly, some of my favorite works were a result of these assignments. Here, I worked for about an hour on a bowl of cherries in a windowsill on a very windy day. The clouds would block the sun and delete the shadows from my view, and then the sun would reemerge, almost blinding me. Still, I need to do more of these.

Below is some pictorial documentation of the process.

The initial outline/composition sketch in charcoal:
DSC05306
Starting to fill in some tones:
DSC05308
Tones pretty much complete; adding detail:
DSC05310
Finished product:
DSC05315

No comments: